Pages

Thursday, January 7, 2010

Goin' "green" with leftover tile and Decor Elements

I love my family.  I really do.  But sometimes things can start bothering me.  Little things.  Like drink glasses on the kitchen counter...what seems like hundreds of them.  When I ask whose glass is whose, no one knows.  Harumph!  So, with a piece of left over tile from the floor and some of SU's great Decor Elements, I made a very simple place holder for my counter top!  My kids really liked watching me adhere the "people" to the tile. (Squealing and laughing when an eye or piece of hair didn't make the first transfer! But that was easy to fix and we had a wonderful time.  Yes, we are easy to entertain!).  Now everyone knows where to place the glass/cup so it may be used again and I'm not running the dishwasher as often.  It cleans up easy too! I guess you could call this a "Green" project! lol.

Here is how each of  the Decor Elements came in my order. Directions are great.  I already had the applicator tool from a previous purchase.


I cleaned the tile and then put the Dad and the Mom and the Daughter and the Son onto it.  And waaa laaa!



I didn't adhere the decor elements directly to the kitchen counter since I wanted to have some flexibility.  I hope to someday have granite for the kitchen counter, and I didn't want to loose my nifty place holder. I know it isn't the prettiest project, but it's so ....so... functional! If I had put the people onto separate tiles, I could probably guarantee that one would get chipped, or get dropped, or find it's way to Mars...where I believe all my other items are that I cannot locate.  And best of all,  it works!  Lookie!




Yup, it took NO training to get my family to place a used glass in the correct spot.  I kid you not...NO training.  It's like it attracts the glasses/cups! Makes me smile every time I see just three to four classes on my counter.  A sigh of contentment escapes me and life is good. :-) 

Thanks for popping in today. 
Kristine

3 comments:

Unknown said...

What a GREAT idea!!! Now I wonder how long they'll "re-use" there glasses until they have to wash them?!? LOL Mine will see mold growing on the side but choose a different area on the cup to sip from!! Hahahahaha....just kidding....REALLY!! LOL Very cute idea...your so dang organized my friend!!!

Anonymous said...

I like that idea.
olivia

Caryn said...

What a great idea!! Looks fun and saves everyone a lot of guessing (and dishwashing).