Pages

Friday, May 18, 2012

Life's a Bowl of cherries

There is a demonstrator group that I belong to that has weekly swaps.  In May, one of the weekly swaps was based on this photo:


 It's a cool photo. I had stamping insomnia from it. My mind was mulling over how to make a card that reflected the inspiration. Hmmmm.  A 1950s feel to me...some art deco too.  I like the colors.  I even like the Melon Mambo in there. :-)  And here is the card I made for the swap.



I liked the rounded corners of the marquee, so I rounded my layer corners.  I swiped a white craft pad over the layers of Tempting Turquoise to get the worn feel.  And why the cherries?  Well, my Grandma Daisy had a bowl very similar to the one in the stamp image.  And it was actually blue and red.  When I first saw the stamp set, called Cherish Friendship, it was Grandma Daisy's bowl that came to mind...and probably why I bought the set.  :-)  A 1950s bowl to go with the 1950s vibe of the card.  Makes sense in my mind. 
.

I colored the bowl and cherries with water color pencils.  They seem to be my favorite coloring tool as of late.  My cherries are Mt Rainier cherries.  They have more of the yellow coloring than do Bing or Pie cherries.  Can you see the shine on them?  That's Crystal Effects that I dotted onto each cherry.  Now the image has a bumpy feel to it--like there's really something in the bowl.


Here's a picture of the side so you can see all of the layers.  It's like stairs! You can also see the bumpy cherries!  The three rhinestones adds the glamor of the theater marquee. 

Something I like about the stamping world is how we can be inspired by anything.  I can't wait to see what the other swappers make!  That part is always the most fun.

Thanks for stopping in.
Kristine

No comments: